Meet Laura, Your Counselor…
I sought couples and individual counseling as my vocation because I get excited about seeing personal transformation happening in people. Besides years of formal academic training, I have decades of life experience transcending my own personal experiences of trauma and life challenges—both internal and circumstantial. This formative synthesis of professional and individual maturity characterizes my counseling practice in NYC and CT. I consider myself akin to what Carl Jung terms a “wounded healer.” Therefore, I have every confidence that resiliency is possible for those who seek it.
For those seeking a Christian therapist in NYC or CT, we can incorporate scriptural values, combined with wise clinical interventions into our sessions. For those who are not desiring a faith-based integration, I’ll provide sound clinical expertise, regardless of your spiritual orientation. Prior to clinical counseling, I’ve worked in urban ministry and led numerous classes, workshops, and groups in the areas of relationship health and spiritual formation.
As a LMFT, I work from a systems perspective. This means I am aware that the larger contexts (systems) from which we are embedded may have a profound impact on our identity formation and wellbeing. This is not only true of our family of origin contexts, but of the broader societal systems (economic, political, social) of marginalization, oppression, and injustice from which many of my clients seek to heal. This is why I consider it imperative to integrate sociocultural attunement and humility into my Christian counseling practice in New York City.
- M.A. in Christian Counseling from Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary—Dual track for Marriage and Family and Mental Health
- M.A. in Urban Ministry and Mission from Westminster Theological Seminary
- D. Min. in Leadership for Global Urban Ministry from Bakke Graduate University
Training and Modalities:
- Advanced Training in AEDP (Accelerated Experiential Dynamic Psychotherapy)
- Advanced Training in EFT (Emotionally Focused Therapy) for couples and individuals
- Training in Gottman Method Couples Therapy
- Certified Spiritual Director from North Park Theological Seminary
- Certified Prepare/Enrich Premarital Counselor
- Certified P.A.I.R.S. Instructor (Practical Application of Intimate Relationship Skills)
- Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT) in the state of New York.
- Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) in the state of Connecticut.
- Member of AAMFT (American Association of Marriage and Family Therapists)
- Member of NBCC (National Board of Certified Counselors)